Sunday, May 23, 2010

I really came to France to travel!


Well, not really. BUT coming here to Paris has opened up so many doors for me not only in terms of Paris' central location but also in terms of whom I have met and my experiences with those people.

A couple of weeks ago, I was finally able to spend the weekend with a family friend down in Annecy (near Geneva). Karen is one of the sweetest ladies I know. Since I've gotten here, she's called me regularly just to check up and see how I'm doing. It's like she is always thinking of others. I left Paris late Friday afternoon, and she and Jacques met me at the station when I arrived at midnight.

The next morning, we drove to Chamonix, where I was able to see THE Mont Blanc, in all its glory under the sun.



We grabbed a bite to eat in the touristy Chamonix before heading toward Megeve and the luxurious wooden chalets dotting the mountainside.




I guess my body knew that I was in a place where I could finally relax and get some shuteye... thank goodness for long car rides :)

We drove on narrow windy roads leading up and down the mountains, passing through Mont d'Arbois, Col des Aravis (elevation 1487 m), and la Clusaz.


That night we had a delicious dinner of wine, bread, and cheese fondue... apparently the last of the season. Unlike at home, did you know that people here eat cheese fondue only in the wintertime, to keep warm? Lucky for me, the local fromagerie hadn't crossed off that seasonal item from his menu yet!


The next morning, after a much needed good night's sleep, we took a leisurely walk through old Annecy. The Sunday market was in full swing, with stalls of fresh veggies & sausages, locals and tourists alike peeking through the crowds for the crispest head of lettuce and ripest tomatoes.







We brought the morning to a close with the purchase of a fresh baguette and some ham to make a typical Parisian butter, ham, and cheese baguette sandwich for my train ride home.

It was a relaxing weekend away from the hustle and bustle of Paris, spent in the mountains with some warm-hearted and generous people... is it too soon to go back?


the view from their 1st floor window

No comments:

Post a Comment